Last night was the first rehersal of the Illinois Wesleyan Civic Orchestra. Now, I love classical music, don't get me wrong, but I still have my limits on what I can tolerate. Last night, I found my limits. We're playing Symphony No. 2 by Jean Sibelius and it sounds as follows....[random horn]....[strings playing crazy runs].....[random timpani blast]......[awkward wind entrance].....[more random brass]......[a tune that sounds like "Stand by your Man"]....[the end]. There, did you like it? Neither did I. Oh well, maybe I'll warm up to it.
Becuase of orchestra in twenty minutes, I can't go to practice. So, I ran with Ross Nelson at 11:00. We had a great run together. Ross is a great christian guy from Michigan, right next to Miracle Camp! We had some great conversations while doing an 18 minute tempo run, 2 x 4 short hills, 2 long hills, and then a ten minute cooldown. I thought we were done when we got back to the Shirk Center, but we ran into Coach Huff who told us we had to do a maintennace mile.
A maintennance mile is wehre you see how much your body has left after doing a really tough workout. To me, this sounded ridiculous, but apparently it's what all good runners do, and who doesn't want to be a good runner? So, I sauntered out to the track and ran a mile as fast as I could. I pulled off a 5:12, which I was very happy with, but I still have no idea why they call it a maintannance mile (in fact, I have no idea how to even spell maintenance). I like the term "gut check" a lot better.
Oh well, I need to be off to orchestra to play some Sibelius Symphony No. Blah!
2 comments:
Iv'e sertainly nevr herd uv a maintenance miel and I deffinuntly do'nt no howw to spel it.
I think that a maintenance mile sounds okay...well not great either it sounds like you need to go to a doctor if it isn't fast enough. A gut check does just that sees if you're willing to go all out and sees if you'll...you know. I agree with giffy's question though: How fast?
Post a Comment