9.25.2008

2nd Serious Post

I know I love to write about the light-hearted side of life here at IWU, but it wouldn't be fair to make it sound like everything is always hilarious here on campus. For example, tonight was a very serious night, yet it's been one of the best so far. You probably won't laugh while reading tonight's post, but I'd encourage you to think.

Earlier this week, the leader of D.R.L. (remember, that really good christian group I've been attending) sent out an email announcing that tonight (Thursday) would be a gospel presentation. He encouraged us to spend less time convincing people that God is real, and spend more time calling them to him. Taking this to heart, I extended an invitation to a guy I know who seems to be looking for answers in this world. He ended up not coming, but I'm praying, and you can feel free to pray to, that he will be encouraged to get involved with DRL.

Anyway, tonight took an unexpected twist. While we average over 50 people most nights, there was possibly 20 people in attendance this Thursday. After some signing, the leader, Charlie, got up and spoke what was on his heart.
"What is with our society?" he said. He went on to question whether or not the season premiers of "The Office" and "Gray's Anatomy" had anything to do with tonight's low attendance. I could tell he was disappointed; he had prepared a gospel message to win people to God, and people chose instead to be entertained in front of their television sets. As I sat there, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Here was a guy who spent a large majority of his time at IWU trying to win people to Christ, and now that he's graduated, he still comes back for the same purpose. However, the very night he intended to share the best news in the world to lost college students, all he could do was preach to the choir.

As the night closed, Charlie questioned aloud, "What will Wesleyan do without DRL? Even worse, what will Wesleyan do without God?" I have no problem with watching TV, but if we're making Michael Scott a higher priority than Jesus Christ, then I think we have a problem.

I would like to ask for prayer support for this ministry. I love it and I think it's a great thing that is done here on campus. Pray that I, and others like myself, can get more people involved.

1 comment:

Pheaney said...

Question for you to ponder Dave: Knowing that those shows were premiering that evening, what would have been a better strategy for a Gospel presentation?

My thought is that you can be disappointed that less believers attended, but if the point was a Gospel presentation, what do you expect your average lost person to do?

I love that you're involved in this need at IWU. God's really been speaking to me about witnessing. I'd love to get together and talk about it!