TOP TEN MONDAYS!!! Today's Topic: Dave's Top 10 All-Time Favorite Movies of All Time! This list also doubles as The Top 10 Movies Of All-Time Period. This list was very hard to make. First, I had to think of 10 movies that I had seen. After that (and I have seen more than 10), it was selecting which one's should be omitted from the list. From there, it was ranking them. The main criteria that I used to select my top 10 movies were: 1) Soundtrack, 2)....um, Acting (I guess?) 3) and,....uh....Plot! That's it! Plot was the third one. Anyway, after much blood, sweat, tears, and frequent trips to the water fountain, the list is complete and here it shall stand forever in its entirety. To start things off, as usual, let's go to....
*Disclaimer* = Movies that are a part of a sequence or trilogy (i.e. Crocodile 2: Death Swamp) are listed as 1 entry unless otherwise specifically noted.
- #10- Star Wars Saga- All 6 of these movies are classics. Sure, you can argue that the acting is cheesy in some of them and that the special effects in the old ones couldn't fool a 3rd grader, but the story is so interesting, and lightsabers are so cool, that George Lucas's masterpiece makes it in at #10.
- #9- The Matrix. This is one of my most recent views. It's a science-fiction thriller with a plot that blow your mind. Just be warned, if you watch this movie, you're going down a long, dark rabbit hole
- #8- August Rush- I saw this movie 4 times in 2008, and I could be blind and still love it, because the music is that good! This is an amazing story of a boy who is a cross between Oliver Twist and Mozart. Somehow, he ends up at the Juliard Music School as an 8-year old and writes a piece that would make Beethoven jealous. The rest is history.
- #7- The Prestige. This is an incredible movie about two magicians, blinded by revenge, who keep trying to get the best of each other. As you can imagine, in a movie dealing with magicians, you can never guess the ending, and even after you see it, you don't believe it. Oh, and the music adds to the drama like none other.
- #6- Batman Begins + The Dark Knight. These two Batman masterpieces will go down in history as the best super-hero movies ever made. Christopher Nolan has done an amazing job at weaving imperceptible plot twists and heart-thrilling action sequences together to create movies that really make you go, "hmmmmm....that's interesting."
- #5- National Treasure 1 & 2. Nobody can deny that these movies are amazing. The plots are ingenious, Riley may be the funniest character ever invented, and the music is phenomenal! I give two thumbs up to both of these movies as they crack into the Top 5.
- #4- Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The amount of work that went into making these movies was well worth it. The LOTR trilogy is the greatest fantasy epic of our time and the movies bring them to life in such amazing detail that it makes you actually feel like you're in Middle-Earth!
- #3- Pirates of the Caribbean Series. I know people were disappointed with the last two installments in this series, but the magic of The Curse of the Black Pearl will forever go in movie lore as the movie that almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow. [pause for Dave to regain his composure from laughing so hard over his hilarious joke]. Ha ha. Wasn't that great? Well, anyway, the soundtracks to these movies stand by themselves as some of the best of all time. And I personally liked Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. I thought Jack Sparrow was hilarious in all three movies.
- #2- It's A Wonderful Life. This Christmas classic easily makes the Top 5. The timeless tale of George Bailey will forever be played every Christmas Eve, and the words of Clarence Oddbody will last for generations to come: "No man is a failure who has friends." I always get misty-eyed when Bart, the police officer, plays Auld Lane Syne on the accordion at the end of the movie. However, even Frank Capra's masterpiece can't compare with the best movie of all time; the movie that has the special power to bring all human emotions to the surface in just 100 minutes; the movie that can motivate even an ordinary man to do extraordinary things. The movie I am speaking of is, of course, none other than.....
- #1- Rudy. This movie will simply never cease to inspire me. Since the first time I saw it at my cousin Mary's house with all my Getz cousins, to the last time I saw it in December of 2008, the music, story, and passion that emanate from 'Rudy' fill me with an indescribable fusion of energy. I will forever listen to the soundtrack whenever I need motivation, and I will forever watch the movie whenever I have free time.
Also, as a special bonus for today's post, I am including an Honorable Mention section for those movies that failed to make it into my Top 10. Here, in no particular order, are other movies that I find entertaining:
- The Lion King
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
- Spiderman 1 & 2 (not 3 so much)
- Transformers
- The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
- The Love Bug
- Remember The Titans & Glory Road (same movie, different sports)
- Mulan
- The Incredibles
- Gladiator
9 comments:
Dave why do i feel like the top 10 list plus the "honorable mentions" is the list of all the movies you've seen. :)
Seriously though, i though Gladiator would be in there somewhere.
I like this list. Out of all the movies you have seen, these are my favorites (that doesn't mean I like all these movies, just that you haven't seen that many). Nathan's right, I'm really surprised Gladiator isn't in here. And there is no way that National Treasure should be close to the top ten.
And there is a double negative somewhere in your post.
secret word: ulpilis
Dave... there's so much about this list I want to talk about... but to limit... There's no way that National Treasure was even close to Batman, or the Prestige, or the Matrix... I mean I like NT, but seriously... also flip around #10 and #1 and you have a good list.
Woah Woah Woah Josh.
Rudy need never be changed from #1 on any all-time movie list.
Who doesn't love good old Sam...er Sean Austin?
And find me a movie that makes more grown men say that the room just got 'a little dusty'. Aside from Brian's Song that is, which I believed deserved an Honorable Mention.
secret word: ablying
You lost me at 'behoove'
In response to Josh, I would consider moving the Batman movies ahead of the National Treasures, but the NTs are still ahead of Matrix and Prestige in my book. Those movies, full of action in themselves, leave you with a sense of foreboding. National Treasure, however, is full of action, and it leaves me laughing. And I like laughing.
Being of the same flesh and blood and genetic material as Dave, I find this list very agreeable.
The only movie you omitted that should have been in there is the funniest movie of all-time......................ELF!!!!!
I just realized that Star Wars was number 10. It wouldn't be very high on my list either, but I expected it to do better on yours. And speaking of Christopher Nolan movies, you need to see Memento. It has all the action and style of his others, but with the biggest twist ever. I've seen it three times and I still don't really understand it.
secret word: sersu
Where the heck are all the westerns? Have you not read my blog recently or ever with the frequent mentioning of John Wayne????????? I'm offended
Post a Comment