2.22.2009

A Very Exciting Weekend

So, I had an amazing weekend. As most of you know, I had an amazing Friday night watching "Fireproof." Well, on Saturday, after going on a 10 mile run on just 5.5 hours of sleep, I ate a huge lunch and then took a 3 hour in the afternoon. It was fantastic. Nothing spells 'college' better than wasting an entire afternoon in your dorm room asleep.

Today, I had a very interesting day as well. First off, me and my friend T.J. went to the Bloomington Bible Church, where I got asked to play the piano. I really enjoyed that, and so did the people (or so they told me without laughing). After the service, I got invited over to lunch at Pastor John's house. We had a great time talking while eating tacos.

After church, I attended the Illinois Wesleyan Tuba & Euphonium Concert, which was fantastic. And after that, I attended another concert of Mike Block (click to see his MySpace), an amazing cellist, and Yang Wei, a Chinese virtuoso on the Pipa (click to see a picture). Mr. Wei was simply phenomenal on that thing. Its a Chinese plucked string instrument, and he played so fast it seemed like he had 13 fingers! The amazing thing about Mr. Block was that he would sing while he played virtuoso material on the cello! It was one of the best concerts I've seen.

After all those concerts, I went to FUEL at Eastview Church. The special speaker tonight was Kristen Anderson. Kristen has a story unlike anyone else's. While trying to commit suicide several years ago, she laid down on railroad while a 30-car freight train ran over her. Miraculously, she survived, and since then she has turned her life over to God and has become a public speaker committed to helping depressed teens. Her story was very inspiring and motivating. Kristen has appeared on "Oprah" in case that name rang a bell.


By the way, for the real picture of the Pipa, click here, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tuba and euphonium? Gross.

secret word: syvgrap

Ben said...

I just learned about the pipa last week in my world music class, so I was excited to click on the link and see what it looked like.............I almost peed my pants laughing when I saw the markhor:)