Today, for my music education class, we went to Washington Elementary School and witnessed a real, live, grade school music classroom in action. It was a great experience. The teacher did tons of fun games that all taught the teacher how to recognize pitch inflection, sounds per beat, and even speak German. Lately, in that class, we've really discussed having a concrete philosophy of why we teach music in the public schools. Seeing something like what I saw today really convinced me that music is a worthwhile subject that needs to be taught to kids at that age. The kids (first graders) were all beaming as they played "Doggie, Where's Your Bone?" while, most likely unbeknownst to them, they were learning how to sing a minor third.
Due to a home schooled education up to High School, going to an elementary was an experience for me. The school, in general, seemed a lot like an extremely large Camp of Champions where, instead of swimming, playing games, and making snack crafts, the children were learning how to become the next great engineers, mathematicians, and scientists.
Speaking of Camp of Champions, Pheaney came and spoke at DRL on Thursday night. It was fun to see a local yocal face amidst my many new Bloomington friends. It was also a great night of learning, as Mike spoke about our motives and what truly dictates the way we act. Are our (these words rhyme, by the way) actions performed just to gain influence, recognition, profit, or are they just internal beliefs and opinions? Or, are they centered on Jesus' teachings? It was very thought-provoking, and it's something I'm still debating on this Saturday night.
Tonight, after running, I had a great time socializing at dinner with my good friends Max, Sam, Paul, Jim, and Colin. All fellow members of the track team, these guys keep me constantly entertained with their sharp wits and debonair. Also, many of them are faithful readers of "What Dave Wants, Dave Getz," so I also salute them for being part of my reading audience. Tomorrow, these guys, along with the rest of the IWU Track Team are off to Monmouth for an indoor meet, so be sure to get out there and cheer on the Titans! I, however, will be watching the IWU vs. Wheaton basketball back here at campus.
2 comments:
Wow! If I knew I was going to be featured on "What Dave wants, Dave Getz" I would have upped the price of my autographs last night.
Hope to visit again someday.
Are and our do not rhyme. That is a fact.
secret word: ingra
Post a Comment