This weekend was awesome. I would definitely put it in the Top 10 Weekends since Dave has been at Wesleyan tomorrow, but that would be a boring list seeing as I've only been here 10 weekends. Anyway, here's why it was so good:
The IHSA State Cross Country meet was fantastic. I've never been surrounded by so many people that love running as much as I do all at the same time (okay that's a lie...there was way more people at the marathon)! The races were so much fun to watch even though I would only know a handful of kids in each one. The talent that some of these kids have blows me away. The top 24 finishers in the class 3A guys' race all ran under 15 minutes!
Being there with Steve, Nathan, Dan, and a large number of my former Morton teammates made it all the more special. Although Morton didn't make it to state this year, it is all of our hopes that next year will be the year, although I certainly won't hold it against them should they come up short. What I do know is that the group of 6 (or 7...maybe 10) Morton runners that were out there with me yesterday are all special kids. They are teammates in every sense of the word and I would be surprised if there was a team running at State yesterday that could match the 2008 Potters in terms of spirit and team chemistry. Even if they don't make it to Detwiller in November next year, I will guarantee you that no team in Illinois will have as much fun as they do....and I have to miss out cause I'm too old:(
Besides state, my weekend home rocked as well. I spent my day-at-home relaxing, playing the piano, losing to Josiah, Joel, and mom in a game of "Sorry," and gaining lots of wisdom and insight from my father (and I mean that in all seriousness. He's a really wise man. You all should talk to him). I'm here in Bloomington for the next two weeks, and then I'll be glad to come home again for Thanksgiving Break.
Today, after church, mom brought me back to Wesleyan in time for an afternoon concert featuring the Orchid Ensemble (the Chinese group reference in a previous post) and IWU's choir. It was very well done, and I was only tempted to fall asleep once. Now, I'm at the Library getting a start on my final paper for my baseball class. However, I'm beginning to get hungry, so I think I'll go grab some supper now.
2 comments:
Dave, i have to say that this weekend's State meet definitely ranks in the Top 3 that i've been to and i've been so something like 15! I have to admit also that "our" team (we are still a part as long as every time we set foot on the field we are recognized and people are happy to see us) is the team with the spirit. Those are the boys: Dale, Dan, Smitty, AJ, Joe, Pipes, Steve, you, and me. (T.O counts too though he wasn't actually on the team our year).
To the future..the past..and the fun on the journey in between!
I would like to see the Vegas odds on how often Dave mentions food in his blog posts. I'm guessing 8 of 10 times.
Post a Comment