Today's Topic: Dave's Top 10 Favorite Disney Animated Classics Soundtracks
- #10-Fantasia & Fantasia 2000- Hey, I love classical music.
- #9-Oliver & Company- Elton John did the music for this one too, but it often gets overlooked. I like it though.
- #8-The Rescuers Down Under- I feel that this one is underrated. It doesn't get put on very many Top 10 Lists, but the Australian sounds in this soundtrack are very invigorrating.
- #7-Aladdin. Who doesn't love the Middle Eastern sound of this Disney classic?
- #6-The Little Mermaid- When I was a kid, I would listen to "Under the Sea" constantly. Now I'm in college, and I still do.....just kidding (or am I?)
- #5- Beauty and the Beast- After seeing the stage version this summer, I have a newfound liking for the songs in this classic. Also, my sister, Amy, is playing a part in the Penguin Project's version of this story, so I'm anxiously awaiting to see that. More about this will probably come in a future post.
- #4- Pochahantas- I just watched this one a few months ago and I was blown away by it. Besides the haunting melodies that turn the wind different colors, the music behind the movie is equally amazing.
- #3-Mulan- Now that I've seen the erhu I have a new appreciation for Chinese music. Plus, this score was written by Jerry Goldsmith who also wrote "Rudy," so you know it's gold.
- #2-Tarzan- As a kid I would run around in my underwear pretending to be Tarzan so maybe that's why I liked this one so much. Also, Phil Collins rocks.
- #1-Lion King- You just can't go wrong with Hans Zimmer and Elton John on one CD
There. Please note that my selection is based 60% on the musical score and only 40% on the catchy theme songs. If I have ommitted one of your personal favorites I can only apologize. To use a phrase I picked up in Sunday school this week, "Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has them, and most of them stink." However, I respect your opinion, and will possibly take your constructive criticisms into consideration should you feel so strongly as to point out my poor Disney musical tastes. I have to go to class now. Hope you all have a great day.
6 comments:
I hate to burst your bubble, Steve, but "An American Tale" was actually a Universal Film. I was just ranking the Disney movies.
are you forgetting the great racist ballad, 'what makes the red man red' from Peter Pan? How did that not make it. really, you got all the good ones, except cinderella. It was the first time someone harmonized with themself, ever.
mitch
harowlio
I've always been partial to Oliver & Company (a little know Disney classic) so i definitely second that one.
I also think that Robin Hood, the one with animals as characters is a great movie with fun songs (plus is hilarious in general). It also has "Whistle Stop" a timeless classic that today is known as the Hamster Dance when sped up.
"warebra"
#9-Oliver & Company- Elton John did the music for this one too, but it often gets overlooked. I like it though.
A lot of different composers were involved with this 'un - score by J.A.C. Redford (St. Elsewhere, the sequels to The Mighty Ducks), songs by Dan Hartman, Howard Ashman (both RIP), Dean Pitchford, Barry Manilow et al - but Sir Elton wasn't involved.
No complaints about The Rescuers Down Under (composer Bruce Broughton was due to score Home Alone as well, but schedules meant he had to pull out - and guess what movie came out the same day in the US as The Rescuers Down Under and thoroughly killed it and just about all other competition?) or Mulan!
I completely forgot about Robin Hood! It's a classic. As is Jungle Book.
mitch
ibione
Mitch, you need to get a blogger profile so you don't show up as anonymous.
Post a Comment