We, the Titan men's team, went into the race hoping for a Top 20 finish. We came out victorious by securing place #19! I felt great on the course today, and I set a new personal record time with a 27:18 for 8K. Our girls team did equally awesome; we had 1 girl place on the All-Region team and the Lady Titans grabbed a Top 10 finish with 9th place!
What made today's race so special was that I discovered how much I really love cross country. When I came across the line, I was super excited to have run a good time, but at the same moment I felt a wave of sadness because I knew that the season was over. As I walked around the finishing area hugging and high-fiving my teammates, I found myself doing all that I could to hold back tears. It was the most peculiar feeling; I have never before felt such strong emotions after an athletic contest. I think it just goes to show just how beneficial the sport of cross country can be: A group of seven individuals willing to put their bodies through self-inflicted pain and training to achieve success that can only be grasped by overcoming that pain. When you see the fruit of 14 weeks of intense labor paying off on the race course, it makes you feel like you can take on the world! I believe that's why I felt the way I did after race. I won't be able to experience that feeling for another year.
Back on campus, my cross country withdrawal led me to take some drastic actions. First off, I enjoyed my first soda since June of 2007. I had a root beer float in celebration of our team's success! Also, later on in the evening, I attended our school's opera, The Elixir of Love. It was my first one, and I enjoyed it very much. Several of my friends were in it, which made it a lot more fun. I will try to describe the show in one word....singing. Hmm, that doesn't really paint a very clear picture. How about one sentence: A distraught lover buys an "elixir of love" from a travelling charlatan who really duped him over by selling him wine. The distraught lover drinks it, becomes drunk, is rejected by the girl for acting foolish, the girl, to spite the distraught lover, agrees to marry the local "Gaston," an army general with an ego as high as a skyscraper, but then delays because the distraught lover begs her not to, he buys more elixir, he becomes more drunk, the other ladies love him because his dead uncle dies and he now has lots of money, and somewhow he gets the girl and they kiss at least a dozen times before the curtain falls. *pause to breath* There, that was the opera in one sentence. Actually, I left out several very important pieces of information (such as the cameo by Darth Vader in the middle of Act II) but you will just have to see it for yourself to know the full story. As far as I can tell, the moral of the story was, "Drink wine, get girls." (Pheaney, is that in the Top 10 somewhere?) It also could have been, "How many times can we sing the phrase 'I'm leaving tomorrow morning' before tomorrow morning actually comes?" Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable show and I'm glad I went.
Until next time, keep the kookaburra in the gum tree.
3 comments:
My favorite part was when the dead uncle dies:)
Congratulations on a new PR. And don't be sad, FOLEPI is in two weeks and Chili Hilly season is just around the corner!
Believe it or not, my word was opers, just one letter off from operas!
man, you went all out this weekend. soda AND opera!
mitch
pestl
I don't regret my soda-streak ending. Besides, i made it with at least 80% ice cream and 20% root beer, and besides, root beer isn't technically a "soda," and besides, how else was I going to stay awake during the opera?
P.S. Darth Vader wasn't technically in the show. But I think I saw his shadow, which means we'll have three more months of winter.
Post a Comment