Wow, I cannot wait for Thanksgiving Break. It's hard to concentrate in classes knowing that in just 16 weeks, March Madness will be here...and in just 5 days I will be enjoying food, family, more food, more family, and Thanksgiving!
Today, in my composing class, the professor, and very accomplished composer David Vayo, lectured on the life of a composer. It was very interesting. I never knew all the sweet things that composer get to do, and all the responsibilities they have. As in any profession, handling money is a big part of the process. Most composers are employed by universities so that they have income when not getting commissioned from ensembles or orchestras. Other composers simply make all their money off their commissions (you have to be a really high level to do this).
Prof. Vayo said there is a lot of money to be made in writing film music, educational music, and church music. I would love to capitalize in one of these areas in the future, especially film music. He said that famous film composers like John Williams often have "ghost" writers under them that do most of the writing, so I think that could be my calling. However, I would only write for movies that involved (1) battle sequences, (2) stampeding horses, and (3) Jack Sparrow.
Until next time, keep your bison in the corral.
1 comment:
Ha ha, good luck finding a movie that meets all of those criteria.
I didn't know a lot of that stuff about composers. Very interesting.
Post a Comment