11.13.2008

The Titanic Sails Again, This Time into the Ocean of Computer Science

As my family will vouch for me, my "best" writing often occurs when I think of the title first. This is definitely the case for today's post. Before I even pondered what to write about, this title sprang into my head.

Today, I had a test in my Computer Science class. It was to be over Chapters 5-8 which dealt with things that computer science majors find interesting and anthropology majors find boring. Thankfully, I'm a music education major, so I found the material to be somewhere in the middle. The night before, I read over those chapters and went over some practice homework problems. I walked into the test feeling fairly comfortable with my command of the material.

However, when i saw the test, I had a sinking feeling, very much akin to the sailor on the Titanic that first spotted the iceberg. The test turned out not only to be over chapters 5-8, but also over chapters 1-4 that we were apparently supposed to have still fresh in our minds. Who would've thunk that? Thus, I found myself digging through the mounds of buried knowledge that I keep in the section of my brain called the "Recycle Bin." Unfortunately, my recycle bin had been cleared earlier that morning, so I had to resort to the old strategy that leading computer scientists around the world have come to know and love: hyper-symbolic explanatory revelations centered around quasi-logical hypothesis (those not in involved in computer science call this 'guessing'). Thankfully, as the test wore on, my recycle bin began to re-load some of its previously deleted contents, thus allowing the Titanic to gracefully glide over the iceberg and only suffer minor damages, such as the chess games on deck having to be restarted due to the slight turbulence. Overall, I don't think I bombed it, but in the future, I'll have to remember that in college, previous course material is not allowed to be forgotten, as was the case at good ol' Morton High (oops, did I write that out loud?).

My night got better though because I went to DRL. I am now involved in the "Worship Team" (personally, I think that term is a bit of a cliche, but I didn't write the codex so who am I to complain) on my viola. The other members of the group are really fun to play with. We have a bass guitarist, Kyle, who has an unstoppable sense of music about him. He is constantly making music out of anything he sees, and he's really fun to be around. We are in the same Intro to Composition class together where, today, he showed us how to make a myriad of musical sounds with a metal pipe! There are also two guitar players. The lead guitarist, Katelyn, is a music composition major and is a great musician. The other, Beth Anne, who I mentioned in the last post, is the life of the party. She's very high-energy and has a very outgoing personality. You can probably see why I get along so well with this group. Besides their ability to rock out, they have been great friends to me and have accepted me just as listeners of Debussy's piano music accepted his idea of cascading seventh chords.

No comments: