I decided awhile ago that only a catastrophic life event could resurrect my blogging career. (By catastrophic life event I'm thinking of events such as an earthquake, a Cubs World Series victory, a U.F.O. sighting, a return craze of Pokemon, etc...). And today just so happened to be that day. The catastrophic life event that I'm referring to, of course, is that I realized, just today, that I am getting very old. This is quite catastrophic seeing as just yesterday I thought I was very young. However, today, all that changed, and I realized that I could no longer keep my voice subdued; the world needs to hear about this! So, after a near fourth-month absence, here I am, logged onto my Blogger profile and poised to press "PUBLISH" on the blog post that will go down in history as "Blog Post #45." (Bonus points may be given to the person who deciphers the title).
How did I come to realize I was so old, you ask? Simple. The first-year* students moved in yesterday here at Wesleyan. Now, because of the possibility that one of them may read this, I will not name names (nor do I actually know any of their names), but I found myself thinking the following thought upon seeing several of the first-years: "You're in college?!?!" This made me realize two things. 1) First-year students can't read my mind. 2) First-year students look a lot younger than I remember myself looking when I was a first-year. Now, due to a memory that puts goldfish to shame, I know I'm not one to immediately recall how I looked as a freshman, but I wonder, if I saw myself as a freshman now, if I would think that I looked crazy young. (That experiment could provide the basis for a great science-fiction novel; but it's probably already taken. Blast!). Nevertheless, as a result of these two realizations, I suddenly realized something, thus bringing my daily realization count up to three: I'm going to be a senior this semester! I guess I should have seen this coming, seeing as I was a junior last year, but it totally took me by surprise. Realizing this is what really made me feel old. Now that I've lived through three years of college, I can only imagine how fast just one more year will feel. And that means that in just about a year I have to decide what I'm going to do with my life. Currently I'm stuck between A) going to grad school, B) looking for a job, or C) rounding up a crew in Tortuga and going after the Fountain of Youth.
So, with that said, I am concluding my resurrection post of WDWDG. As a result of this tremendous event, vanilla creamer will be served in the break room this week along with the usual coffee.
Perhaps I'll post a summer recap soon. Don't hold your breath though.
*- At Weselyan, we're not "allowed" to say "freshman" because, I "suppose", it's not "polite."
No comments:
Post a Comment