Today, on this very date 15 years ago, something incredibly important rocked the plate tectonics of my family. It was so important that I can't for the life of me even begin to remember what it could be. However, I can recall something that occurred on April 12th; that was the day my first sister, Amy Jo Getz, was born in Seoul, South Korea. She was brought to the States later in that year, and our family processed up to O'Hare Airport in Chicago to welcome her with loving arms.
My life would be very different if it were not for Amy Jo. She has inspired me in ways beyond what I can even imagine. You see, Amy was born with Chromosome 18 Syndrome as well as a cleft palate. Amy was in the hospital several times in her first couple years of life for surgeries and other illnesses. However, she endured through these trying times to become the cutest baby that you will ever see (I can still recall a photograph of her sitting on a beach in Wisconsin with a sun bonnet on when she was about one year old; that picture was worth may more than 1,000 words).
Because of her Chromosome syndrome, Amy had to fight to achieve what you and I casually take for granted. However, she excelled in areas that you and I would never imagine. For instance, Amy picked up sign language quicker than Reggie Bush on a punt return. Through therapy and practice, Amy soon developed speech and mobility. It was a glorious moment in our family history when, as the flower girl in my aunt's wedding, Amy opted to walk down the aisle by herself rather than using her walker. This was just her showing off her fighting spirit at an early age.
If Amy were an architect, she would never design a house with a roof? "Why?" you ask. Simply because she doesn't know the concept of putting limits on herself. Time and time again, Amy amazes me with what she is able to accomplish. This girl has learned to play the piano and violin, she can ride a horse like it's a bicycle, she reads Encyclopedias like they were comic books (and remembers every detail), and she has acted in several musicals ranging from church productions to the prestigious Penguin Project that was blogged about in a previous post.
Happy Birthday, Amy! Sorry that it's a day late, but it was worth it be with you in person on your birthday. And, technically, I still consider this Sunday night even though it's technically Monday.
Editor's Note:
Not to fret. There will still be an edition of TOP TEN MONDAYS available later on in the workday. Please check back with us periodically for the update. We apologize if we have created any strife over the matter.
-Tom Merker, Chief of Staff at WDWDG
1 comment:
I was sooo excited when Amy was born because it meant that I was no longer the only girl on the Getz side of the family! I was so proud of Amy Jo when she walked down the aisle at the wedding, and also every time I see her on stage doing a musical. She is one of the most amazing people I think I will ever meet.
Stephanie
Post a Comment