4.13.2009

TOP TEN MONDAYS!!!!!!

Well, folks, once again it's that time of week when I attempt to fasten up the Pants of America with the Suspenders of Conquest. Today starts the last full week of classes here at IWU, for next week starts Finals. I am so excited in anticipation of the semester being over, but I'm almost more excited over the fact that today marks another edition of....

Top Ten Mondays!!! Today's Topic: Dave's Top 10 All-Time Favorite Hymns of All-Time!!!!! That's right, you heard me correctly. I said hymns (pronounced "Him-z"). Hopefully, none of you have stopped reading after hearing that word. It is one of my most bitter disappointments that these classic songs of the Christian faith are dwindling out of society. My generation calls them "too boring." Why? Because John Wesley didn't play the electric guitar he can't write amazing music? And that's another thing; I wonder how many people my age even know who John Wesley even is? Why, I even bet.....wait, I'm digressing. The purpose of this post is to show you why hymns are so important and needed in our culture. With hymns, you don't even need music to appreciate them. The hymn writers of old had this amazing knack of capturing the truths of life in poetry and then composing melodies that have endured throughout generations. However, it breaks my heart when I begin singing the 3rd verse to Amazing Grace and people look at me like I'm crazy. "Dave, you need voice lessons," they say sadly after I'm finished, but that's not the point. The point is that most people don't even realize that "Amazing Grace" has more than 1 verse!! .....Wow, I'm digressing again. I better just get rolling with....no, I have one more point to rant about! Four-part harmony!!!! Singing does not get any better than 4-part writing. Soprano, alto, tenor, bass. The fact alone that hymns were written for four vocal parts sets them on a pedestal above other such music. Okay, I think I'm done ranting; let's get started with...
  • #10- Blessed Assurance. This classic by Fanny Crosby has always been a classic. In my opinion, the word that strikes me most is the word assurance. Ms. Crosby was so strong in her faith, she was assured of the reward that was waiting her at the end. The tune is awesome, and so are the words.
      • Blessèd assurance, Jesus is mine!
        O what a foretaste of glory divine!
        Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
        Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
        Refrain

        This is my story, this is my song,
        Praising my Savior, all the day long;
        This is my story, this is my song,
        Praising my Savior, all the day long.
  • #9- When We All Get To Heaven. We used to sing this hymn at every Birkey Reunion (a get-together on my Mom's side of the family) and I loved it. It was my first exposure to the bass part singing independently of the others. Also, I love the words.
      • Sing the wondrous love of Jesus,
        Sing His mercy and His grace.
        In the mansions bright and blessèd
        He’ll prepare for us a place.
        Refrain

        When we all get to Heaven,
        What a day of rejoicing that will be!
        When we all see Jesus,
        We’ll sing and shout the victory!

        While we walk the pilgrim pathway,
        Clouds will overspread the sky;
        But when traveling days are over,
        Not a shadow, not a sigh.

        Refrain

        Let us then be true and faithful,
        Trusting, serving every day;
        Just one glimpse of Him in glory
        Will the toils of life repay.

        Refrain

        Onward to the prize before us!
        Soon His beauty we’ll behold;
        Soon the pearly gates will open;
        We shall tread the streets of gold.

        Refrain
  • #8- Wonderful Grace of Jesus. This is always my favorite hymn to sing when we go to the Apostolic Church in Morton. Like "When We All," the bass part is simply amazing. And the words are awesome.
      • Wonderful grace of Jesus,
        Greater than all my sin;
        How shall my tongue describe it,
        Where shall its praise begin?
        Taking away my burden,
        Setting my spirit free;
        For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

        Refrain

        Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,
        Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
        Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me.
        Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
        Greater far than all my sin and shame,
        O magnify the precious Name of Jesus.
        Praise His Name!

  • #7- Victory In Jesus. I came to love this hymn when I played it with a bluegrass band at a Harvest celebration in Tremont (that's a city, not a month). The tune is a downright toe-tapper, and the words are awesome.
      • I heard an old, old story,
        How a Savior came from glory,
        How He gave His life on Calvary
        To save a wretch like me;
        I heard about His groaning,
        Of His precious blood's atoning,
        Then I repented of my sins;
        And won the victory.

        Chorus:
        O victory in Jesus,
        My Savior, forever.
        He sought me and bought me
        With His redeeming blood;
        He loved me ere I knew Him,
        And all my love is due Him,
        He plunged me to victory,
        Beneath the cleansing flood
  • #6- O, For A Thousand Tongues To Sing. This one was written by the aforementioned John Wesley. I like this one because it was one of the first hymns I learned to play on my accordion. The chord progression is basic (but aren't they in all hymns?), but the words are outstanding! Ha ha, I bet you didn't know this hymn had 18 verses.
      • O for a thousand tongues to sing
        My great Redeemer’s praise,
        The glories of my God and King,
        The triumphs of His grace!
        My gracious Master and my God,
        Assist me to proclaim,
        To spread through all the earth abroad
        The honors of Thy name.

        Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
        That bids our sorrows cease;
        ’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
        ’Tis life, and health, and peace.

        He breaks the power of canceled sin,
        He sets the prisoner free;
        His blood can make the foulest clean,
        His blood availed for me.

        He speaks, and, listening to His voice,
        New life the dead receive,
        The mournful, broken hearts rejoice,
        The humble poor believe.

        Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
        Your loosened tongues employ;
        Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
        And leap, ye lame, for joy.

        In Christ your Head, you then shall know,
        Shall feel your sins forgiven;
        Anticipate your heaven below,
        And own that love is heaven.

        Glory to God, and praise and love
        Be ever, ever given,
        By saints below and saints above,
        The church in earth and heaven.

        On this glad day the glorious Sun
        Of Righteousness arose;
        On my benighted soul He shone
        And filled it with repose.

        Sudden expired the legal strife,
        ’Twas then I ceased to grieve;
        My second, real, living life
        I then began to live.

        Then with my heart I first believed,
        Believed with faith divine,
        Power with the Holy Ghost received
        To call the Savior mine.

        I felt my Lord’s atoning blood
        Close to my soul applied;
        Me, me He loved, the Son of God,
        For me, for me He died!

        I found and owned His promise true,
        Ascertained of my part,
        My pardon passed in heaven I knew
        When written on my heart.

        Look unto Him, ye nations, own
        Your God, ye fallen race;
        Look, and be saved through faith alone,
        Be justified by grace.

        See all your sins on Jesus laid:
        The Lamb of God was slain,
        His soul was once an offering made
        For every soul of man.

        Awake from guilty nature’s sleep,
        And Christ shall give you light,
        Cast all your sins into the deep,
        And wash the Æthiop white.

        Harlots and publicans and thieves
        In holy triumph join!
        Saved is the sinner that believes
        From crimes as great as mine.

        Murderers and all ye hellish crew
        In holy triumph join!
        Believe the Savior died for you;
        For me the Savior died.

        With me, your chief, ye then shall know,
        Shall feel your sins forgiven;
        Anticipate your heaven below,
        And own that love is heaven.
Okay, we're getting into the good stuff now. Here's my Top 5:
  • #5- Great Is Thy Faithfulness. This is another Birkey Reunion Classic. I could sing this song all day and not get tired, but other people would definitely get tired of hearing me sing it all day. The words are simply amazing.
      • Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
        There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
        Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
        As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

        Refrain

        Great is Thy faithfulness!
        Great is Thy faithfulness!
        Morning by morning new mercies I see.
        All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
        Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

        Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
        Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
        Join with all nature in manifold witness
        To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

        Refrain

        Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
        Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
        Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
        Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

  • #4- May The Mind Of Christ My Saviour. This hymn is definitely the least-famous of the Top 10 bunch, and that's so sad because this hymn is go good! My dad would always play it on the piano when I was kid. The melody is so good, the chords are nice, and the words are amazing. (Is that phrase getting redundant? I guess so. But it's true)
      • May the mind of Christ, my Savior,
        Live in me from day to day,
        By His love and power controlling
        All I do and say.

        May the Word of God dwell richly
        In my heart from hour to hour,
        So that all may see I triumph
        Only through His power.

        May the peace of God my Father
        Rule my life in everything,
        That I may be calm to comfort
        Sick and sorrowing.

        May the love of Jesus fill me
        As the waters fill the sea;
        Him exalting, self abasing,
        This is victory.

        May I run the race before me,
        Strong and brave to face the foe,
        Looking only unto Jesus
        As I onward go.

        May His beauty rest upon me,
        As I seek the lost to win,
        And may they forget the channel,
        Seeing only Him.

  • #3- Amazing Grace. This John Newton classic easily belongs in the Top 3. No other song so beautifully captures the fact that "we were lost, but now we see." It is God's amazing grace that allows us to live life to the fullest. But even "Amazing Grace" can't beat out these next 2 hymns for the top spot on my list.
      • Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
        That saved a wretch like me!
        I once was lost, but now am found;
        Was blind, but now I see.
        ’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
        And grace my fears relieved;
        How precious did that grace appear
        The hour I first believed!

        Through many dangers, toils and snares,
        I have already come;
        ’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
        And grace will lead me home.

        The Lord has promised good to me,
        His Word my hope secures;
        He will my Shield and Portion be,
        As long as life endures.

        Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
        And mortal life shall cease,
        I shall possess, within the veil,
        A life of joy and peace.

        The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
        The sun forbear to shine;
        But God, Who called me here below,
        Will be forever mine.

        When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
        Bright shining as the sun,
        We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
        Than when we’d first begun.
  • #2- How Great Thou Art. This hymn simply commands an aura of majesty. "How great thou is art" is basically the King James equivalent of "How Great Is Our God," which is an outstanding modern work by Chris Tomlin. However, the words of How Great Thou Art are so impacting that every time I read them, I just want to sing it at the top of my voice (much to the chagrin of those around me).
      • O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
        Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
        I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
        Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

        When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
        And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
        When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
        And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

        And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
        Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
        That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
        He bled and died to take away my sin.

        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

        When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
        And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
        Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
        And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
        Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
        How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
I'm sure you're probably scartching your head at this point wondering "what song can possibly beat out these 9 already listed?" Well, you can stop holding your breath, because here is the unveiling of Dave's All-Time Favorite Hymn Of All-Time...
  • #1- It Is Well With My Soul. Wow, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about this song. This hymn was written by Horatio Spafford during one of the lowest times of his life. He had just received news that his four daughters had died when their boat to England sunk in a freak accident. His wife survived, but was in life-threatening condition in Engalnd. Hoartio immeditately boarded a ship to go meet his wife. As his boat passed over the spot where his family's boat had crashed just days earlier, he was moved to write the following lyrics that have thousands:
      • When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
        When sorrows like sea billows roll;
        Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
        It is well, it is well, with my soul.

        Refrain

        It is well, with my soul,
        It is well, with my soul,
        It is well, it is well, with my soul.

        Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
        Let this blest assurance control,
        That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
        And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

        Refrain

        My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
        My sin, not in part but the whole,
        Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
        Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

        Refrain

        For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
        If Jordan above me shall roll,
        No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
        Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

        Refrain

        But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
        The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
        Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
        Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

        Refrain

        And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
        The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
        The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
        Even so, it is well with my soul.

  • If that was you in Horatio's situation, would you be able to write those words? It really makes you think, doesn't it.
Well, there you have it. My Top 10 Favorite Hymns. If I excluded your favorite, like always, I can only apologize. But, here's a list of some Honorable Mention hymns that I considered before making my final list. Also, I didn't take time to YouTube all of these songs, but I encourage you to do so. There are some great recordings out there. However, I do have to share this one with you. It's the Gaither Homecoming Vocal Choir singing "It Is Well" with an outstanding solo by David Phelps. It gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Watch and enjoy!

Honorable Mention
  • Victory In Jesus
  • The Solid Rock
  • Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
  • I'll Fly Away
  • He Leadeth Me
  • We Shall Behold Him
  • May The Circle Be Unbroken
  • O, For A Thousand Tongues To Sing
  • Old Rugged Cross
  • Lead On, O King Eternal
  • In the Garden
  • All Hail The Power of Jesus Name
  • This Is My Father's World
  • Be Thou My Vision
  • Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victory in Jesus placed seventh AND got an honorable mention? It's good, but that's pretty impressive. Seriously, this was a courageous effort, and I applaud your results. And I liked the accent over blessed in Blessed Assurance. You just don't get the right rhythm if you read it without that syllable.

secret word: ignalobi