4.08.2009

"Ad astra per alia porci" is Latin for "To the stars on the wings on a Pig!"....no joke!

I am blogging right now because my 10:00 Greek Myth class was cancelled. However, even though class was cancelled, the professor is still making us turn in our papers today at her office. Oh, well, it will be nice to have it out of the way.

It is hard to imagine, but I am quickly nearing the culmination of my freshman year of college. I basically only have one and half more weeks of classes. The week of the 20th-24th is spent entirely studying and taking finals (of which I only have two!), so it's not really a week of school. There is only one word that can describe how fast this year has gone: WOOSH!

I have to take a moment to brag about my brother. Yesterday, Dan ran in his first ever Track meet when Morton traveled to Dunlap for a Mid-Illini Tri-Meet between Dunlap and Canton. Dan had an amazing debut! He ran a 2:18 split the 4 x 800 relay (beating my personal best from last year) and then followed that up with a 5:24 1600 later in the meet. I'm so proud of him and all the fine athletes at Morton High School. If you want to get to know the Morton Potters Track Team more personally, I suggest visiting the official website of the Morton Guys Distance Runners called "The MHS Runners Chronicles".

Well, I need to proofread my papers so that I have something to turn in for my Greek class.


Discussion Question:
Is "woosh" technically a word? In your groups, discuss the origins of this word and attempt to compose a 5-10 line poem (in dectlic hexameter) that contains 3 other alternative uses of this word and their Latin cognates.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Wow, that's amazing that you only have a week and a have of class left! I still have 4 and a half weeks and then a week of finals.

Unknown said...

Dave, I agree that Freshman year has sped by... and I'm furiously working w/ my group on that woosh poem..

nocat is my secret word... google must have had a pet die... :(

Ben said...

Careful Josh, you may want to delete that comment before Chase sees it. We know how he takes jokes about dead pets.

(After I wrote this I realized that probably only Dave and Chase will get it)

Anonymous said...

Dont worry Ben, I got it. And in my opinion, whoosh is more likely to be an actual word than markhour.

Mitch

secret word: squat
that word isn't secret at all.