10.04.2008

Carthage Invite (part 2) and Dave's Weekend


Now that I have more time, I'll give those of you that are more interested a "step-by-step" account of the race yesterday.

Well, first off, the race didn't start at the sound of a gun. It started at the sound of a canon! Literally! They had a mini-canon that blasted sound across the valley. It was quiet entertaining. (To the left is a picture of the valley facing the starting line.)


As the race began, our team immediately broke up into packs. Our front pack (TJ, Adam, Paul, and Tyler) immediately went out quick. I was in our second pack which consisted of me, Bobby, Max, and Keith. As we came to 800 meter mark, Max took off and attempted to catch the front pack, but I stayed back with Bobby and Keith.

The 800 meter mark was right in the middle of the hill (pictured to the right). It was the biggest hill that I've ever had to run up in a cross country race. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that we had to go up it again after the 5K mark.

Anyway, as we passed the first mile (5:41), another teammate, Joe Campbell, passed our pack and began to push the pace. I went with him. The second mile was entirely downhill, and Joe and I worked it in 5:31. During the 3rd mile, Keith and Bobby made a push to get up with us. Keith passed me and went with Joe as they started up the hill the second time. The 3-mile mark was right at the base of the hill, and I passed it at 16:49, tying my 3-mile P.R.

Going up the hill the second time was about as tough as trying to three-hole punch a New York City phonebook. This kid from Wheaton (I think) and I struggled up it. I would pass him on section, but then he'd pass me on the next. It was frusterating. Finally, the hill leveled out and I tried to resume my pace, but my legs felt dead. My 4th mile was the slowest, at 5:49.

Going into the 5th mile, I began to feel better. Looking ahead, Joe, Keith, and Max were now running together, and, if I pushed it, I could get up with them. However, unexpectedly, a hill suddenly emerged right in front of me. I was not expectiting this, for I did not remember seeing a single hill in the 5th mile on the course map. However, I had no choice but to charge it, which I did in a bold military manuever. After ascending the hill (and claiming it in the name of 'Getz', for no one else had done so), I began to try to catch up to Joe. Looking at my watch, I saw that my 5-mile split time was 4:10. Realizing that I had just over a minute to go in the race, I decided to "throw down the hammer." (I have no idea where this phrase comes from, but it sounds cool). My finishing kick carried me to a final time of 28:17: a new 8K P.R.!! However, I felt really good at the end and I think I need to start my kick a little sooner next race. Below is a picture of the finish line.



Now, I'm back at school and it's a boring Sunday. Ben came down for the weekend to watch the Wesleyan Homecoming football game against Carthage. IWU lost 26-21, but it was a great game. Having Ben down for the weekend was fun. I didn't have a whole lot of homework, so we had a lot of time to hang out. On Saturday night, we went on a 60 minute run together through the Bloomington area. When you're a Getz, going for an hour long run on a Saturday night IS a party.

The week ahead (brought you by Subway) is as follows: intense! Seeing as Friday is IWU's fall break, my professors will most likely load me up with homework these next four days. Also, I'm attempting to learn a difficult Gottschalk piano piece called "Pasquinade." It's really fun, but challenging.

1 comment:

Pheaney said...

Did you take all those pictures as the race was going on? I sense a new calling... Running Photography!