10.07.2008

Dave Has a Bad Day...Sort of

This is how I felt today. For Cross Country practice, we had to do our six mile tempo run. I was supposed to hit paces between 5:40 and 5:50 for the whole run. However, I now know what it means to "tank" a workout. We started the first mile slow (5:55), and I felt pretty good. However, for the next mile, Keith, the guy who broke out last race with a 28:08, took the lead and immediately upped the pace. We rolled a 5:28 for the next one! I still didn't feel terrible, but this pace was very atypical for me in this workout.
The bad news comes in the next two miles. I was trying to hang with Bobby, Max, and Sam as Keith continued to lead a fast pace. Us four freshman hit the 3-mile at 5:41 to make our 3-mile total time 17:05 (just 4 seconds off my High School P.R.). At this point, the hard 2nd mile hit me and I got a terrible side ache. I fell off until I was well behind Bobby, Max, and Sam. My 5th mile fell to 6:11, and I could only end in 5:59 for a total time of 35:03. Now I know, to most of you, that time still may seem quick, but when you can't keep up with your group, you really feel down.
Still, I tried to stay positive despite my downcast feeling. After the run, Coach asked how I was doing. I answered, "I felt like Wile E. Coyote, and they were the roadrunners."

On a brighter note, Steve Gifford, my track coach, came down and took me out to dinner. We had a nice time socializing and now I'm back at IWU wasting time before going to bed. I have had hardly any homework these last few days, so it's been really nice. However, I don't like having nothing to do. Hopefully, I kind find something to keep busy the next few days...the piano is also available!

3 comments:

Ben said...

I love the picture of Wile E. at top of the post!
I know what it's like to not be able to keep up with your group but don't feel too bad. Your time today would have probably gotten you 2nd place at this year's 10K and some of your faster times probably would have won it.

Unknown said...

Sorry that it didn't go well Dave... I can't really feel you on the running thing, but I know how it feels to watch everyone else climb to the top of the kill chart on super smash brothers while you just suicide off the edge... is that the same?

Anonymous said...

Dave what you didnt see is that I was actually leading the entire group and that absolutely no one could catch up with me. Devin Hester and I were just FLYING today at that practice. Thats just how we roll.