9.10.2011

The GRE should stand for "Giant Enormous Kraken!"

It's Saturday afternoon and I am sitting in the Ames Library about to embark on a 3-hour adventure that will be my first practice attempt at the GRE.  I blog about this for 2 reasons.  1) I have to psyche myself up for this.  2) In case this practice test kills me, it will serve as a paper trail for investigators.  The past 2 weeks, I have spent my time memorizing ridiculously complex* vocabulary words that wouldn't even show up in a Harvard dissertation**, relearning math concepts that haven't passed through my brain since senior year of high school, and complaining about the process to my housemates (who probably want to kill me as much as the GRE does).  So, as soon as I get done cyber-ranting here, I will walk over to my desk, pick up my pencil, and, with the go-get-em' spirit that got me into Illinois Wesleyan, I will promptly forget what the acronym GRE even stands for.  At least, that's what I'm betting will happen. 

In other more exciting news (I know I haven't blogged in about a week), I went to a barbershop on Thursday for the first time in my life!  (Sorry, Mom, it couldn't be helped.  Steve paid for me; how can I turn that down?).  It was crazy!  At first, I was slightly creeped out by the barber commenting that I had a "beautiful mane," but when she was done and my haircut looked great, I figured that must simply be a bit of barbershop lingo that I failed to pick up on over my 21 years of boycotting barbershops.

Also, DRL went fantastic on Thursday night as we had another good turnout to come hear about the "Power of the Resurrection!"  Also, yesterday was Quad Day, where all the Registered Student Organizations set up tables on the quad (although rain forced the event into our Student Center), and we had over 60 people join the DRL email list!  I can't decide yet whether that many people are pumped to get involved in a Christian community on campus or if they were drawn to our table by the aroma of the 20 Little Ceasar's pizzas that we ordered for the occasion.  I suppose only time will tell.

Alright, I'm off to battle!  Say a prayer for me.  If Jack Sparrow survived the kraken, I at least have a small chance of surviving this practice GRE.

I leave you with this awesome video I found on YouTube yesterday:




*- I use the word "complex" here interchangeably with the word "useless"
**- except "calumny."  That one could possibly show up in a Harvard dissertation.