10.28.2009

Dave Climbs Mt. Renaissance

After hours of slaving away in the library, pouring over lecture notes, writing practice essays, and taking frequent breaks to relieve stress, I am finally free from the burdens of Unit 2: The Renaissance in my Music History class. The test was at 10:00 am this morning, and thankfully, I woke up with my alarm and was able to eat a large, hot breakfast (waffle, eggs, bacon, and hash browns). I felt very prepared walking into the test, and I think it went rather well. Dr. Press must have read my Top 10 Monday's column cause the essay on the test asked us to write all we knew about the Italian madrigal, so that was really nice.

I feel so relieved right now; I'm sitting in the library listening to Dvorak and I feel like nothing could be better. Also, after the test I went to the Chapel on campus cause DRL was in charge of the service. After that, all of us DRLers went to Panera for lunch, so that was great fun.

Last night, I had my viola lesson. I'm playing a sonata for viola and piano by Rebbecca Clark, and the piece is based off a famous poem in a different language. My teacher asked me if I knew what it meant.
"No," I replied. "I don't know Italian." There was a brief pause.
"Dave, it's in French." Oops; I always get my languages mixed up with my salad dressings. Thankfully I'm not going into linguistics.

Currently in the orchestra, we're playing "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky (arranged by Ravel) and I love it! It is the absolute coolest piece I've heard in awhile. The brass parts are just dynamite. Listen to this recording of the last two movements of the work and let me know what you think. My favorite part comes at 6:25.




2 comments:

Pheaney said...

I don't get conductors... Could you do a post on this? How/why do they get all the credit? All they do is wave their arms around!

Ben said...

That is a great piece! When do you guys perform it?