TOP TEN MONDAYS!!! Today's Topic: Dave's Top 10 Favorite Things He Ate Over Thanksgiving. However, this list shall be a little different. No, it's not magical, but seeing as my aunts, grandmas, mother, and, possibly, father and uncles slaved away making delicious dishes all for my enjoyment, I would hate to offend anyone by not including their food item in my list. Also, the thought of ranking their efforts seemed petty. Thus, I am going to simply list everything that I ate on that wonderful Thursday. If you want to rank them feel free.
- Turkey- This Italian Stallion of the Thanksgiving table was tenderly cooked to perfection!
- Stuffing- The stuffing was equipped with turkey, bread, craisins, and a host of other things that made it delicious.
- Corn
- Green Beans
- Mashed Potatoes and gravy.
- Salad with delicious dressing
- Yeast rolls made by my mother
- Cottage cheese mixed with cranberry sauce
- Prune Whip -this was a new one to me, but it was very good.
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
Besides that amazing meal, my week off for Thanksgiving Break was very memorable. I love spending time with my family. I feel that I would not be the person I am today without the love, faith, and character that I have seen modeled through the Getz and Rapp extended families. After attending the Apostolic Christian Church on Thanksgiving morning with my Grandpa and Grandma Getz, we celebrated lunch with my mom's parents at our house by eating delicious, steaming bowls of chicken noodle and potato soup (not combined but separate, although I wouldn't doubt it if Sara combined them for breakfast the next day). Then, in the evening, we went to our Aunt Jean's house to be with the Getzes for the big meal listed above. It was an awesome day.
The weekend continued to get better on Saturday when Ben, Dan, and I ran in the FOLEPI River Trail Classic, a 4-mile race down East Peoria's famous bike trail. We all ran superb times and capped off the run by feasting on Avanti's pizza (a new favorite. Hmm...pizza could possibly be the subject matter for a future Top 10 post).
Later on Saturday, I went out to Tremont to attend the CABIN. That place is so much fun. I love how the youth of Tremont get so excited on Saturday about putting together a fun service that focuses on praising God...especially the guys. The entire service was run by a half dozen or so high school upper-class men (surprisingly, none named Pflederer) that are taking the biblical role of male leadership seriously. You can tell that they love what they're doing and are committed to being christian leaders in their small community. Keep up the good work, guys!
Finally, as built up by this post's title, I was assailed this weekend by a virus that I dubbed "The Kraken." It tried to dispose of me by attacking my gastrointestinal tract, but, using savviness rivaled by the modern pirate world, I was able to outwit it in a mere 30 hours. Thus, I am back here at Wesleyan and I am as healthy as a horse that has just recovered from a 30 hour bout with a virus.
So, until next time, continue digesting your turkey and have a happy holiday season leading up to Christmas.
Future Top 10 Teaser (besides pizza): Dave's Top 10 Christmas Carols
No comments:
Post a Comment