12.12.2008

And So It Goes...

As Billy Joel so elegantly wrote into one of his famous ballads, "And so it goes, and so it goes..."
And so it goes, another semester has come and gone. Today, I sit in the library with 99.9% of the semester behind me. All that is left is a 5 minute presentation in my composition class. As I sit here, my mind races, like my feet usually do, and I reflect on the many valuable things I've learned over the semester. I thought it fitting, in my last blog post here at IWU, to list these many lessons I've learned so that you too can share in my learning experience.

I Have Learned
  • ...that practice doesn't make perfect, but it will get you closer than not practicing at all.
  • ...that running analogies can be made to every aspect of life.
  • ...that sleep is important.
  • ...that the team is only as good as the coach, and we were a fantastic team this year.
  • ...that the library closes at 10 o'clock on Friday and Saturday.
  • ...that I love having home just 30 miles down the road.
  • ...that 90% of the quality of your performance is based on how well you think you can perform.
  • ...that, okay, maybe it's more like 80%.
  • ...that you get to know a lot about a person when you run for over 500 miles with them in a season.
  • ...that your professors are your friends.
  • ...that I don't need coffee to survive college, but it does taste better than I thought.
  • ...that my Mom and Dad were right about a lot of things.
  • ...that the Internet is a great way to keep up with friends.
  • ...that apples don't keep as long as I thought they did.
  • ...that everybody here has one thing in common; they're all different!
  • ...that coffee needs a lot of additives to make it taste good.
  • ...that having a positive outlook on life can be a positive thing.
  • ...that my decision to follow the God of the Bible has been the best decision I've made in my life. Nothing else is close. I don't know how I could have made it through this semester without relying on the reassuring promises found in the Bible.
I know I'm not a Philosophy major, but that was my best shot at trying to be profound. I hope that you can relate to at least a few of my "deep" lessons. I can't wait to see many of you over the break. And to those that I won't see, "Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and everything in between!!!!"

3 comments:

Pheaney said...

I should probably comment on something profound... but I'll save that for Monday. Here's an unimportant point:

You're just drinking bad coffee. Switch to the good stuff.

Pheaney said...

Ironically... good coffee looks really dark in your cup.

AM I on the path to the dark side?

Who will be my Obi-Wan and save me?

("WE WERE BROTHERS!")

Anonymous said...

If coffee leads to the dark side, then I am long gone. And Pheaney is right, the better the coffee, the less you have to put in it.

orafora (if thats not a word, it should be)