12.03.2008

Dave Gets Into the Christmas Mood

Tonight, I had one of the best experiences of life! But, first, some background....

Last August, Tim Zimmerman & The King's Brass came to Grace Church in Morton (my church, for those that don't know). The concert took place on the night of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. I was torn between which event to witness, but in the end I chose the brass concert. I'm so glad I did. To open their concert, they played John Williams' Olympic Fanfare and it was possibly the most exciting musical piece I've heard in a long time. To make a short story just as short as I intended, I left that concert allergic to brass ensembles, especially the King's Brass.

Now, fast forward to tonight....

It was Lasagna Night!!! But that's not the real reason tonight was so exciting. Tonight, Tim Zimemrman & The King's Brass performed at the 2nd Presbyterian Church in Bloomington!! The church is just a five minute walk from Wesleyan, so, I, of course, went down to witness this twice-in-a-lifetime experience.

First of all, the church itself was awesome. From the outside, it looks like a cake, but on the inside, there is a lavish circular sanctuary with a balcony railing that is too high to see over. I know this because I sat in the balcony for the first there songs, and I had to lean on the edge of my seat to see half of the stage. Eutychus would be very safe in this church if he fell asleep in the balcony. For the rest of the concert, I sat in the middle of the sanctuary on the ground level where the view, and acoustics, were much better.

The concert itself was marvelous! It definitely put me in the Christmas Spirit. After playing a fanfare of "Joy To the World" the 10 member ensemble launched into spectacular arrangements of traditional Christmas carols, Handel's "Messiah," hymns, and even "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." The best song by far was "Angels We Have Heard On High" played in antiphonal choir fashion with two of the trumpets ascending to the balcony for the song. "Sleighride," by Leroy Anderson, was another favorite, with the percussionist wielding four mallets and playing bells, drums set, timpani, and shaking jingle bells all at the same time!

I am so glad that I braved the elements to make it to the concert tonight. It will always be a memory. If any of you aren't in the Christmas Spirit yet, I suggest coming to the Morton Community Chorus' production of Handel's Messiah this Sunday at 3 p.m. at Grace Church in Morton.

2 comments:

Ben said...

After checking my email, I would say somebody has a little too much Christmas spirit.

That was hilarious and Nathan and I officially decided that you have too much time on your hands.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
That's "addicted" to brass ensembles, not "allergic", unless you actually spent the night sneezing of course.