Tonight, I was the witness of a special treat. It was the Wesleyan fall opera; La Boehme! Although the opera was originally written in Italian, it was performed in English (the reason being that nobody here at Wesleyan speaks Italian, although we have several people fluent in Thousand Island). The cast featured six main characters, dozens of minor characters, one poodle*, and, most unexpectedly, Darth Vader**. The story centered around a guy and a girl, cast as the tenor and the soprano, who fall in love in Act 1, break up/get together in Act 3, and then are forced to break up for good in Act 4 when the soprano tragically dies (sorry if I gave away the ending, but, hey! it's opera. That kind of stuff happens all the time). Scattered among the 4 acts were tons of melodious "arias," with several "recitatives" interspersed among the multiple "cantatas" that were overlaid with "requiems" being sung in "canon" by "the chorus" who during most of the opera were "busy" pretending to sell "baskets" to the "townsfolk" of the village***. All in all, it was a great opera; I really enjoyed the story and the music, which, coincidentally, is all that opera really is.
My teammates loaded up on a bus this afternoon and traveled up to Osh Kosh, Wisconsin where they will be running in the Midwest DIII Regional Cross Country race tomorrow. Although part of me wishes I was racing tomorrow, the other part of me, the realistic side, reminds me that I would probably have more success in
this kind of a race. Good luck, Titans! Run fast!
*- seriously
**- unseriously
***- played by Venice, Italy
1 comment:
I don't think I know anyone that speaks Thousand Island. I do have a few friends that are fluent in Raspberry Vinaigrette though (and at least one with a strong blue cheese accent).
Post a Comment