11.10.2009

Bet you didn't know it, but Dave is a poet.

Today during my sociology class, an interesting feeling came upon me. No, it wasn't the sudden desire to consume large amounts of chocolate chip cookies (although that is not uncommon); it was the desire to write a poem. The reason this feeling came about is because I was in no way "feeling" the lecture. Don't get me wrong, I really like my sociology class, but on this particular day we were talking about social stratification...at least, I think we were.....and I just wasn't connecting. Thus, over the course of the 75 minute class period, I constructed my first masterpiece! I call it "Opus no. 1: Lament of a Bored College Student"

Opus No. 1: Lament of a Bored College Student

I'm sitting here, bored in class.
Oh, how slow the time doth pass.
The weary hands they labor on;
a darkness with no sign of dawn.
Round the clock they circle free
yet, trapped in strict chronology,
they will not speed nor slow their pace.
They care not for my sad disgrace.
Their only drive is to fulfill
Father Time's unceasing will.
And when the clock's hands move their last
and time no longer cares to pass,
I wonder where I'll be that day?
I think I know, but hate to say,
for though the fact may seem grotesque,
I'll probably still be in this desk.


-Dave Getz (1990-present)

1 comment:

Pheaney said...

Dave is a poet...

And I didn't even realize it!