1.08.2009

Dave provides the BACKstory that sheds light on the BACKground of his BACK, which he hurt while BACK in Morton during Christmas BreACK

Yeah, so, the title kind of gives away what I'm blogging about tonight. For those of you that don't know, I have been having back problems lately. When people here at IWU ask me how I hurt it, I ask them if they want the good story or the true story. Since I don't have that ability with you (the reader), the true story will have to suffice.

After Thanksgiving, I threw out my back while, at the same time, I threw my cookies (if you get what I mean). This resulted in me taking a week off running. When I came back, I was feeling rather well for the next few weeks. However, as it often does in Morton, it snowed that week. While snow shoveling, I re-injured my back and had to take the next few days off running. It never really healed that well until, thanks to a series of unexpected events, it got worse. While trying to open the hood of my car, I pulled out my upper back when I didn't realize that the hood could only be unlocked from the driver's seat. Through all these unfortunate circumstances, I maintained an air of dignity, and never once even thought of becoming a Cubs fan. Still, desperate times call for desperate measures, and so, that very next Monday, I finally cracked down and decided that all I want for next Christmas is a Markhor (boy, it's been a while since I've used that joke). Actually, I went to see a chiropractor. It was very fun. He put me in several funky positions, pressed on my back (rather forcefully) and my back popped! The sound is very much like the sound of a mother gorilla separated from her young...no, wait, that's the sound I made when I got a bit by a dead mouse (that's a story for another blog session). It was actually quiet painful and unexciting. Still, I've been feeling better since then, but my activity is still limited.

Because I can't run for a week, I have been finding other ways to stay in shape. Today, I found one a great new exercise: water running! At the pool at IWU, there are flotation belts that you can wear around your waist that keep your upper body above the water. By wearing one of the belts, I could stay afloat while my feet could simulate running under the water. Hopefully, I'll be able to run this weekend though.

Thank you for letting me rant about my injury. Suffice it to say, I'm a wimp when it comes to injuries, and one of the best ways for me to heal is to simply tell somebody about it. My dad will vouch for me.

In other news, DRL started back up at Wesleyan. We had our first meeting of the semester tonight and it went very well. The speaker, Mike Lankford, talked about Solomon's request to God for wisdom and how we can apply that to any New Year's "resolutions" we might be thinking of making. He also played a very motivating video that I think is very effective.

I'll catch you all on the flip side (where did that phrase come from? It's about as strange as "pay you no heed" if you ask me).

No comments: