2.13.2010

Pre-Concert Thoughts and Thank-Yous

Well, my performance of the Greig Piano Concerto in A minor mvt. 3 is just under 24 hours away. I am very excited and incredibly honored to be playing in the concert tomorrow. Thanks to all those who have helped me get this far, and to all those who are traveling tomorrow to see the event. I feel so blessed to have so many people in my life who are willing to take time out of their day to watch me do something I love. Hopefully the reason you're coming tomorrow is because you love music, and I am so thankful that God has given me the ability to share it with you.

I think you'll enjoy really the concert. Besides my piece, the orchestra is playing 2 fantastic overtures: "Russian Easter Overture" by Rimsy-Korsakov and "Romeo and Juliet" by Tchaikovsky. You will also be treated to 3 arias by top-notch Wesleyan vocalists, as well as concertos by our top cellist and saxophonist.

Lastly (and I am regretting not putting this in my program bio), when I take the stage tomorrow, although I will definitely be playing for you all to enjoy, I will be playing especially for my grandpa, Russell Rapp, who passed away last June. He was my biggest fan as I grew up playing the piano. He and Grandma would always sit next to me as I played because they liked to "watch my fingers," and they would also encourage me to play more. When I learned a majestic arrangement of "How Great Thou Art" a couple years ago, Grandpa told me he wanted me to play it at his funeral when he passed away; albeit a heavy heart, I was more than glad to grant his wish last summer. I know that if Grandpa were alive he would definitely be in the audience tomorrow, and I'm going to play as if he were. This piece is for you, Grandpa. I love you and I can't wait to play for you again someday.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Ben Getz "likes" this