1.20.2010

Rehab: or There and Back Again

So, because I'm not in orchestra this semester, I have a lot more opportunity to go to Track practice to get my rehab exercises done.  I thought that I'd been doing okay.  I would do my workout routine 3-4 times a week, and swim about 2 times a week.  However, over the weekend, my knee got a lot more swollen, so I backed it off this week.  Until today.

I went to practice and saw our team trainer (whose forearms, as he pointed out, were just as big as my biceps*).  I hadn't talked to him since the beginning of the semester, so I checked back up with him to see how he thought my knee was progressing.  He was talking with one of his assistants when I walked up.
"Hey," I said.  "How's my knee looking?"  He glanced at it.
"How long has it been since the surgery?" he asked.
"Just over a month," I replied.
"Dang, son!"** he said.  "That looks like an old man's knee."
"I'm 37.  I'm not old,"** I replied.  
"What?" 
"Nothing."
He then had me get up on the table and the assistant checked my range of motion.  As I lay there on my stomach, I could hear them making bets on how far my knee could bend.  After that was done, they waltzed me through a new, improved workout regimen that had my leg muscles feeling like mashed potatoes.  But, you know what?  After that, my knee felt great!  To conclude the therapy session, they hooked my knee up to a funny machine that, to quote the trainer, "uses electricity."  It contained four nodes that were placed all around my kneecap.  As he turned the machine on, I was for sure that at any moment I was going to turn into a dragon.  However, the only sensation I felt was from the nodes as they gently vibrated against my skin.  What it accomplished medically was beyond me.   




*- which means he had monster forearms.
**- not part of the actual dialogue, but added for emphasis.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Did you really quote Monty Python in a conversation with your trainer!?!? I'm guessing you just put that in there to spice up the blog, but with you one can never be too sure:)

Dave Getz said...

To be honest, I did NOT say that to the trainer. I didn't even think of it until later in the evening. However, had I thought of it on the spot, I would have used it.