1.15.2010

Dave Fiddles away on the Roof of Personal Reflection

For those of you who don't remember, last weekend I went home to see my sister, Amy, star in the Penguin Project of "Fiddler on the Roof" (with my brother, Dan, actually co-starring as the Roof....I mean, the Fiddler.) Once again, like last year, I was totally galvanized by the quality theatrical performance that the Penguins exhibited. I truly think that this Project is one of the greatest things that has been started in my generation. I can speak from first-hand experience that Amy has truly "learned to fly" in just her two short years with the program. And, in a very powerful moment after the conclusion of the performance on Sunday, I saw one of the Penguins who had graduated from the program last year return to honor the director and founder, Dr. Andy Morgan, and to thank him for giving her the chance to find her wings. Seeing that made me realize just how big of an impact Dr. Morgan's brainchild has made on these kids. I've seen kids with more than twice the opportunity of these Penguins be less than half as thankful for the privileges that they have in this life. I'm already counting down the days until next year's Penguin production (and I'll venture a guess that Amy is as well).

It was also a privilege to see the production with 9 of my friends here from Wesleyan*. Since the songs and story of "Fiddler" were still fresh in our heads this week, we decided that we needed to watch the 3-hour movie version featuring Topol as Tevye.....on a school night beginning at 10:45 p.m. Let me tell you, if you're going to stay up till 2 in the morning to watch a movie, you better pick one as good as "Fiddler on the Roof."





*- which proves that I'm not the only one that goes to this school.

1 comment:

Pheaney said...

9 friends?

You expect me to believe that?!

Secret Word: nowns (google can't spell.. it's nouns silly)