7.31.2009

Weekly Summer Update- Episode 09

We are going to start today's update off with a quiz: Guess where I am writing this post....

A. My house
B. A glitzy hotel in the middle of Fort Wayne, Indiana that is supposed to be a Holiday Inn but instead oddly resembles a highly organized and habitable stick of gum due to its shape and lighting.

If you guessed B, then you get 5 points of extra credit which you can spend any way you choose!
The reason I am in this glitzy hotel is because I am sitting inside of it. The reason I am in Fort Wayne is because I am a Quiz-Master at the FEC Convention Quiz Off at Brookside Church. This is now my second quiz-off being a quiz-master and I love it! Today was relatively short. I only had to do 4 quizzes, and only one of them really forced me to flex my tricep muscles of authority and discernment and make a really tough judgment call. However, I feel I got it right, so hopefully I sleep well tonight.
The rest of Convention is going to be fun. Andy Pflederer is the Chief Orator of the event, and we got to hear him speak tonight; it was a very powerful message. Also, the Brookside Worship Team played a worship song that had the exact same beat and chord progression as Elton John's "Rocket Man." After the service, the church treated us to an Ice Cream social. I love socializing with ice cream, so this was a high point of the evening. A low point of the evening is that I'm sitting in a glitzy hotel in the middle of Fort Wayne, Indiana that is supposed to be a Holiday Inn but instead oddly resembles a highly organized and habitable stick of gum due to its shape and lighting and I can't get into my room because the credit card that reserved my room is currently driving down the interstate to meet me at the hotel.

Man, I got so hyped up writing about Quiz-Off that I nearly forgot entirely about....Bulleted Points!
  • Due to some lesson cancellations on Monday, I was able to go down to my favorite hang-out spot in Morton and shoot the breeze with its local frequenters: the Carper Field track.
  • On Tuesday, I'm pretty sure I did something, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.
  • On Wednesday, I went to see Dr. Phillips about my knee. Speaking in English, Dr. Phillips informed me that all the rehab exercises I had been doing up until that day were, and I quote, "wrong." He said that the MRI revealed a bunch of built-up "bad" cartilage on the lateral side (or, possibly, the "starboard" side) of my knee. He said I could run through the soreness, but it might make it worse. He suggested a "micro-fracture" surgery which, if I'm not mistaken, might actually be a better long-term solution. That is, if I don't die of old age first. He basically said that I have to try rehabbing the correct way for a few months before he would risk surgery, which would be a 5-6 month rehab process in itself.
  • On Thursday, due to my Exodus to Indiana today, was my last day of COCUSA for the week. I was out at the North Peoria camp this week, and it was really fun. Having not worked on that side of the river since last summer, it was fun to go back and see some of the kids that I hadn't seen in a year.
  • This morning, I got up at 3:30 a.m. and, with my cousin Jonathan, we defeated 300 Philistines by ourselves before dawn. After that, we traveled across the great US of A for several hours. We stopped at a Denny's along the way. While there, I did something that made myself feel, shall we say, "manly." I ordered the Grand Slam breakfast with....and get this....coffee! I could almost feel my chest hair growing as I downed the steaming cup of black liquid.* For the rest of the trip, I ended having to stop at nearly every Rest Area on the way to Ft. Wayne, but it was worth it.

Well, that's pretty much my Week in Review. It may not be as exciting as something that would appear on Wolf Blitzer's "Situation Room," but I'm hoping it could potentially make it on an episode of the "Colbert Report." Boy, I wish I could get into my hotel room.

* I even had a refill.

No comments: