- On Monday, I began work at COCUSA in Pekin. I also taught several piano and viola lessons.
- On Tuesday, I got to participate in my first ever swim meet! The water felt fantastic, and from my position along the wall holding a stopwatch I was treated to the excess water upheavals of several humorous dive-in attempts that turned into bellyflops. For about 2 and a half hours, I volunteered my time as a Timer and successfully stopped my watch on a perfect second (meaning .00 of a second) on four different occasions! I also played around with the Split/Lap feature of my stopwatch and managed to completely mess up the official time only once. My brother, Dan, swam very well, as did my friends Austin and Smittee. At the conclusion of the evening, I decided that the sport of Swimming lacks the intensity of a track meet, but it does deliver when it comes to pushing yourself to the limit.
- On Wednesday, I saw my doctor again about my knee. He looked at my quad muscles and told me: "The left one (quad) is like a steak, but the right one could easily be mistaken for somebody's lost pillow." Those weren't his exact words, but I think that's what he meant. So, basically, I have to work on strengthening my right quad until it gets strong enough to support my weak kneecap. However, any pain in my knee causes my quad to atrophy, so it's all one big Catch 22 (which, by the way, is a phrase that I don't understand). The doctor said nothing about me transforming into a dragon, but I wonder if he just couldn't bring himself to tell me the bad news.
- On Thursday, I made more plans for an upcoming event that you will NOT want to miss. I am organizing a COCUSA Variety Show next Thursday, July 16 at 7:30 p.m. at Grace Church in Morton. The evening will consist of funny skits, lively songs, and musical performances that will knock the socks off of anybody not wearing flip-flops. Concert admission is free, but a freewill offering for Camp's scholarship program will be taken during the evening. If any of you readers can't attend the concert but would be interested in donating to the cause, you can email me at davegetz08@yahoo.com. More information about camp can be found at COCUSA's website.
- Today was Super Hero day at COCUSA, so I dressed up like Wolverine (see picture below).

So, that pretty much sums up my week. If anyone can explain the concept of the phrase "catch 22" to me, I will give them bonus points.
No comments:
Post a Comment