8.25.2008

First Day of College: Part II

Here I sit in the Ames Library collecting my thoughts on my first day as a college student. It was rather anticlimactic. I was only in class for two hours today, and of those two hours, I learned 0% new knowledge. I did learn that being a professor looks like one of the easiest jobs in the world, and I thanked my lucky stars that I was on the education path.
No, actually, today was very beneficial. In my music theory class, my professor (a Venezuelan lady with a thick accent (which I think is a requierment for most proffesors here)) was very friendly as she explained to us what we would be learning this semeseter and how challenging it would be. However, thanks to Mrs. Thompson for my solid theory background, the class should be pretty boring for the first couple weeks.
After lunch (a huge salami and ham sandwich with a salad and 2 bowls of soup), I went to my "Baseball in American History Class." This proffesor, Robert Shultz, had no accent whatsoever. This made me question his academic credentials. However, he was super nice and laid back. So laid back, in fact, that he assinged a paper in three weeks; don't you question his credentials now too? Still, I think this will be an entertaining class and I'm looking forward to seeing if my American Studies childbirth experience was worth it.
For practice today, we had that 6 mile tempo run I was telling you about. Here was our split breakdowns:
Mile 1
0:06:05
Mile 2
0:05:53 (mile time)
0:11:58 (split time)
Mile 3
0:06:07
0:18:05
Mile 4
0:05:56
0:24:01
Mile 5
0:05:43
0:29:44
Mile 6
0:06:10
0:35:54
Yeah, it was the fastest I've ever run 6 miles! However, around Mile 4, I felt my shins hurting, something I haven't felt in a long time. So I iced them after the run and now they feel okay. Still, I'm going to take it nice and easy tomorrow so as to not contract shin splints before the big race!
The rest of my night will be spent reading my baseball book and practicing the viola. So, sweet dreams everybody! Hope you all had a great day.

No comments: