12.16.2009

At the Crossroads of Operation Ave. and Surgery Blvd.

There comes a point in every wayward traveler's travels when he passes a road sign, stops, looks at it, looks back behind him, sighs, and then says in his best Humphrey Bogart impersonation, "I guess there's no going back now." Well, I am at that stage. Tomorrow at 8 a.m. I will be wheeled away into an operating room where, if all goes well, the final stages of my dragon transformation will become complete. Oops, wait...my bad, wrong operation; that was supposed to be classified. Tomorrow is my knee surgery. Today marks the 9th month anniversary of my last "healthy" run. Back on March 16, I did a 7 mile jog with my friend/coach/father/Jedi-Mentor Steve, and since then, I've probably run 7 miles total.

However, as bleak of a midwinter as this scene may appear, I wouldn't trade these last 9 months for anything in the world*. Although it's been hard not to stand on the sidelines and watch my friends race to new personal bests, even though I can't run in my earthly body, I know that I will always be running a much bigger race. Also, because I wasn't able to run cross country this fall, I was really able to enjoy other areas of my life that I probably otherwise would have ignored.

I'm very excited about tomorrow's operation. There are two potential outcomes based on the ambiguity of the MRI. In one case, there is just a small piece of cartilage out of place, and a simple splicing of the "bad cartilage" will have me bearing weight the day after surgery. The other case involves a much more severe tear that can only be remedied by an operation called "micro-fracture." An operation of this size will involve me in crutches for 6-8 weeks. Whichever option occurs, I'm confident that the doctor's will do their best to get me back on my feet as soon as possible. My only fear is that the doctor will forget which patient I am and accidentally remove my tonsils instead.**

So, my friends, I hope that wherever your wayward travels are taking you, you are having a great holiday season amongst family and friends. Hopefully my fine staff here at WDWDG can post a health update in the days following the surgery. If, that, I'm still a human:)



*- except, of course, a free lifetime pass to Olive Garden
**- little does the doctor know that I already had my tonsils out. Ha ha. Joke's on him.

No comments: