It's Finals Week here at the good ol' U. of Illinois Wesleyan, and as is typical of college students at strict Liberal Arts universities at this time of year, we are all convinced, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there is absolutely nothing better than the innumerable amount of free food that is offered to us to keep us from, in the words of Albert Einstein, "going crazy!" Apparently, the faculty at IWU thinks there is a direct correlation between hunger and poor grades, and feeding us tons of food during finals will obviously improve our test scores. Wrong. If that is their logic, than I will appeal to the Court of Appeals saying that we need free food all semester in order to maintain the academic status quo. What the free food actually accomplishes is convincing students who have been studying diligently since the Mayflower landed that eating free food is preferable to studying, and studying is thenceforth put on the back burner in favor of guzzling the hot chocolate and cookies that are placed int he Library each night.
All these seems fine and dandy doesn't it. Au contraire*. Thanks to the School of Music's philosophy that "Finals week should be easy on the students," they instead implement the philosophy "The week before Finals Week should be incredibly difficult on the students....especially since they will not have access to any free food." Thankfully, however, I have gotten through the Week before Finals, and am now living in Finals week where the load is significantly easier. I've already completed both my piano and voice juries, and only of my two tests this week is cumulative. I turned in my final Judaism paper today, and my final teaching presentation will be done after 9 a.m. tomorrow. So, one could say, I'm living the dream. Now that most of my worries are behind me, my only ambition is to see how much free food I can eat between now and Friday.
*- French for "Now hold on a gosh darn pea-picking minute!"
No comments:
Post a Comment