8.19.2009

Preseason!

This week of preseason is better than last year for two reasons:
  1. I'm not a freshman
  2. I'm a sophomore
Things have been really fun this week because I haven't had to go to all those freshman meetings where they explain to you that if you don't do your homework, go to class, meet new friends, talk with your professors, and enroll in as many activities as possible, you won't be able to make enough money in the future to give back to the school when they ask for donations.  At least, I think that's what those meetings were about; maybe I should have paid more attention.  

Anyway, the point of the matter is this...the only thing that I technically have to do this week is to show up to practice at 6:30 and 4:00.  Besides that, I am free to move about the cabin as much as I want.  I am all moved into to the Cross Country House, I already have a key to the grand piano rooms at Presser, and I have spent multiple hours on the quad playing frisbee, as well as teaching hilarious large-group games to my teammates*.  

It's hard to believe that classes start on Monday.  I'm actually ready for them to begin.  Like I've said multiple times in the past (and as the great Albert Einstein used to say): "The more I've got to do, the more I get done."

My knee continues to heal slowly (or at least I like to think it is), so I have turned my focus from running to swimming to get in shape.  Today, I was doing laps in the pool, and an amazing thing happened.  After completing 4 laps, I stopped my watch and looked up at the IWU Pool Records banner draped intimidatingly on the wall for all to see.  I saw that the school record in the 500 Free was in the 4:20s.  I had just saw 400 meters in 3:28!  If I had continued at my current pace, I would have had a chance at the school record!  Much to my dismay, in the next moment I realized that the pool was only 25 meters, which meant that I had only swam 200 meters, and that my 3:28 was actually actually 1:40 off the school record in the 200 Free.  My thoughts of being the next Michael Phelps sank slowly to the bottom of the pool while I heaved a great sigh and continued swimming laps. 



*- "Superheroes and Villains."  You should play it sometime**
**- It's fun.

1 comment:

Thomas Bersano said...

Dave!

I absolutely love the new layout. Good choice! I really enjoyed your posts this summer. I almost had as much fun reading them as you had experiencing them.

Hope to see you around school,
Thomas